Thursday, March 24, 2022

Update - interior work

If there is one area that I badly underestimated, it's the amount of time that is required to finish the interior.  Varnishing 40 square feet of space is a lot.  Getting it smooth and doing 3 or 4 coats is a whole lot.  And then there's the time spent figuring out that you really didn't think you A/C initial plan through very well, and you will need to do something else.  

I'll do a separate post on the A/C system, but in the short - the return duct will be a 12¨ panel in the headboard, and the cold air will come out of a duct that runs up the middle of the front wall from the top of the headboard.  Not the first change order to hit this project, and I'm sure it won't be the last 

Reddit fans are fond of 'today I learned..." factoids.  Well today I learned that cabinet doors are typically 3/4¨ thick.  So in order to make my Euro hidden hinges work for the headboard, I have to pad the top 3" of the backside of the doors with an extra layer of plywood.  

I'm learning to be a master of multi-tasking.  I generally have 3-4 'tasks' in flight at any given time in the shop, and bounce between them - let the glue dry on 'a', sander is available so work on 'b', finish room is open, so prep 'c' and get it in the finish room, back to 'b' to glue it while 'c' dries.  Grab 30 minutes on CNC when that opens up.  That's pretty much every trip to the shop.  Oh, and the occasional side trip to Menards for brads or whatever.

One other lesson.  While Festool sandpaper is the absolute bomb, I've found that "Serious Grit'' (Amazon) wears almost as well, cuts almost as well, and costs about 50% what Festool paper does.  

This coming weeekend will be devoted to varnish, and maybe, just maybe install all the cross-trailer panels and get the left side stood up!  (more likely early next week, given how much time it takes to varnish...)

One other side note - I *think* all the electrical is in - transfer switch, solar charging, battery system, fuse box, etc.  Now I need to think about lights and switch panels.  Dang this stuff sneaks up on you...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...