Monday, June 6, 2022

It's really blue right now...

 

I feel like I need a little Christmas tree to put on top!

Tonight was a big step - the last major bit of aluminum (but not the last major bit of work) is on the trailer.  

I called it a wrap tonight with the panel on and secured with screws and clamps. Tomorrow I'll start over at the back, unclamp it, contact cement a section, get it glued down, and then do the other half/thirds.

The top panel is 5x10x.100, which is a bit heavier, but means there are no seams on the top from the hurricane hinge forward to the 'tongue box' - or what I'd planned to be the tongue box.  

To say there have been a few design changes along the way is being kind.  As mentioned in the last post, I had initially planned for a window air unit in the tongue/utility box.  Moving to a commercial box means I have a lot less complexity up front, but does mean I have a front panel to close up. 

Once the side panels were glued down, I used a jigsaw to get close - typ 1/4¨ and a trim router with a cheap import carbide bit to bring the panels down to the correct line.  One tip on the jigsaw - make sure you get the right blade - the very thin metal blade clogged up so quickly that it was unusable after only a foot of .040.  The 'thin' blade worked fine.  Vacuuming up all the bits of aluminum was a major effort!  And even though you see all the junk piled inside, I did protect the inside to keep the chips out when cutting the sides.

Next up - the front panel and the hatch.  Any bets which one is going to be more work??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...