Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Draft look at the camper!!!

The frame is ready to go to powder coat, even if I wasn't!  I'll try to get pics from that step of the process, but - I really doubt that will happen...  It's been cold and snowy enough to keep me from wanting to load up the utility trailer, so hopefully tomorrow!

In the meantime, I've been spending time working in FreeCAD sketching out the camper. FreeCAD makes some tasks much easier - like taking 38.1mm off the outer profile to form the core of the walls, but managing all the constraints, attachment offsets and keeping everything in line is a royal pain.  I know about a 10th of the things I probably should, and am doubtlessly doing this the hard way - but hey - that's how I learn.  As the line goes in one of my favorite songs, ¨...if you came by it easy, you wouldn't be you.¨

Anyway, here are a couple of sketches/assemblies:

The outer profile has changed a bit from my first sketches  I decided I wasn't thrilled with the vertical lines front and rear, and since I was already beyond a convenient 8 sheet of wood, it didn't really matter if it ran a little long.  So the back and front arcs make it closer to 10'3''.  It's amazing what that couple of inches adds to the look.

The bed area is queen size - 58Wx78Lx6H.  The cupboard on the center wall is intended to be hanging locker on one side, and shelves on the other.  Should be plenty of room.

I truly don't remember whose video/build journal I saw with the headboard, but I had to steal that idea.  It's about 4¨ at the top, and 6¨ at the bottom.  It'll grow shelves, and be set up for a tongue mounted AC unit blowing in from the top.  The 10 degree angle is pretty comfy for leaning against to read or watch videos.

Behind the wall is the mechanical/electrical bay.  It's sized for a Propex 2211 on one side, and a 200AH battery system on the other.  

I'd still like to install a 20 gallon belly tank, but at this point I will go with the big blue jug out back, and another stored in the tow vehicle for shower water if we're off-grid.   


The kitchen is still a work in progress.  Mostly, I am leaning toward a fairly spartan - and flexible - arrangement since I don't know what I will really like, need, or want.  The bottom space is sufficient for a 55l fridge on one side, and a water jug + drawers on the other.  I'll have a Camp Chef Everest on a slide out, probably on the left side.  There will also be some sort of containment system at the back of the counter to hold 'stuff'.  

That's a really quick tour, and at least a glimpse of where my head is at.  The amount of learning I've done from the tnttt and youtube communities is incredible.  I've changed or tweaked so many things already based on videos or posts from fellow builders, and I appreciate everyone who has put their thoughts out there!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...