Saturday, December 4, 2021

Ready for powder coating!

 It was a boring day.  Boring holes in the frame, that is :)


My buddy Kris came down and helped me get the frame down on the blocks, double check alignment, clamp the suspension,  mark the holes, check the alignment again, and then drill the holes.  And I have to confess that I can't drill a straight thru hole to save my life.  I'm going to find a way to get at least a couple of them a little off center.  But at the end of the day, I thin we are 'close enough'.  Triangulating spindle to tongue is within 1/32 of an inch.  I'll get it professionally aligned once everything is together, and the body weight is on the frame, but this will do for now - especially when it will be taken apart again.





Assembled Timbren suspension units in place!  These are definitely heavy duty!  Grade 8 bolts thru the  frame.   i had a little sticker shock when I bought nuts, bolts, and washers.


The Timbren specd reinforcement plates fit well.  Only a little nudging was needed to get them properly aligned.  
One 'sticker shock' item for me was the bill for Grade 8 hardware!  Bolts for both the suspension and the receiver were nearly $100.  That's the price for doing it right.

Final inspection tomorrow, and off to the powder coaters on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...