Tuesday, November 1, 2022

The Window Wedgie Widget

 A couple of weeks ago, we were camping our way across the West on our first long trip - the two of us


and our two fur kids in the teardrop for two weeks from Minneapolis to Oakland and back.  And on the second night out in Veedauwoo Wyoming, it was downright chilly!  To keep from totally steaming up the trailer, a little ventilation is essential (and my safety vent isn't enough).  So I latched the window open and dealt with an icy breeze blowing in on my delicate backside.  I did figure out that you could sort of 'jam' the window partway open, but still...

So sitting at my computer a few days back, I thought about those nights and decided there was a better way - enter the Window Wedgie Widget (or SW-W3 for short).  And pretty soon every problem starts to look like a nail if you have a 3D printer.  So I whipped out a few prototypes that evolved into this - the Window Wedgie Widget.  The left hand picture is deployed in the 1.5" position.  Flip it vertical and it gives you 3.5" of gap.  It's made of plastic, fits snugly in the track, and stows - well wherever you want to stow it!

This works great.  I did a solo weekend trip to Arkansas, left this in every night, and had zero condensation - and no frozen backside (ok, it wasn't really that cold - the heater only kicked on once the whole trip).  


If you are interested, please drop me a note and I'll be happy to send you one or a pair of your very own.  I am selling these locally and on ebay at $9.99 for one, and $15.99 for a pair (plus shipping). Right now, I'm only making in Henry Ford's favorite color - black - but colors are a possibility too.

I'm also making a variety of other widgets to fix common problems - spacers, hole covers, anti-rattle shims, tube ends and so forth.  If you need anything like this, please drop me a note.  If I don't already have something, chances are we can figure something out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...