Thursday, June 2, 2022

Diamonds

 

Today was the start of one of the last major steps in the build - skinning the outside!

I chose to add diamond plate to the lower sides, and to the nose, wrapping back about 9 inches around the front.  I actually did this for a couple of reasons.  First, the diamond plate provides an exta layer of protection for the parts most likely to get rock chipped or dinged from things I can't control.  Second (and probably more important) I could not get a 5x12 sheet of .040 aluminum at anywhere close to a reasonable price or distance.  Since the trailer is about 123 inches long and 56 inches high, this allowed me to skin the trailer without any awkward seams.
If the weather cooperates, the outside could be all skinned up by Tuesday!



On other subjects, I've finally made a number of decsions about things like AC, heater position, and tongue box.  For anyone in IT or project management - this is hands down the most Agile project I've ever done.  The entire design process has been very iterative, making significant changes based on the learnings from the previous sprint.  It's almost literally run on two week sprints, I've had to assign 'story points' to tasks, the definition of 'done' keeps shifting based on progress from each sprint, and so on.  

One of the areas where this has been most apparent is air conditioning.  i thought I had this wired. I had been planning all along to use a small 5000 BTU window AC, sized the inverter to drive it easily, and laid out the headboard to accommodate it.  But I was struggling with mounting the thing in the tongue box, whether I should get a commercial one and surgically alter it, or build one.  At the same time, I kept seeing ads and videos about Zero Breeze.  So I started researching it, and liked what I read.  And it runs on 24 volts, so that really means the insta-pot is the only major use for the inverter!  NOW I have to string new wire from back to front.  I'm glad I buried a pull string in the wire-way.  I'll pull a new one along with the 10Gauge wire just in case there's something else that needs to go in.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...