Thursday, June 9, 2022

Agile Development

Especially for those in the IT world, the term ¨Agile¨ is usually met with both joy and trepidation.  Done well, it's one of the best things that has every happened to project management, software development, and well, almost anything.  However, it's rarely done 'well', and we'll leave it at that since this is a family show.

This project is possibly the most agile project I've ever done.  Everything about it has been an iterative design.  Almost nothing is exactly as I originally sketched it out, and design goals have shifted as I learned new things.  There are also things like the A/C system I mentioned in an earlier post that drove a major change in the front end, and the ripple from *that* change has kept on giving all the way to the back of the trailer.  In some ways I wish I'd waited to order the inverter - I originally bought with the expectation that I could run the house AC unit on battery for a couple of hours a night and recharge either via solar or plug-in.  Since the new AC runs on 24vdc, I now have a 2500 watt inverter to run the Instant Pot, and to charge laptops.  Just a little overkill, I think.  But it's bought, paid for and too long out of the box to return, so I'll bolt it in anyway.

The board above will get screwed in to the back of the bay.  The batteries will mount on the floor, taking most of the clear space at the bottom.  What's not shown here (future post) is circuit protection, AC switching, the master switch, etc.  That's all going up above the counter where they can be accessed without performing contortionist routines.  And I still have to balance and assemble the battery pack and BMS - not hard, but somewhat tedious and it does require a certain amount of care to avoid arc welding with your fingers.  At the end of the day, I'll have 100aH 24volts of LiFePo4 battery stuffed behind the wall to power all the creature comforts.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...