Sunday, April 3, 2022

Fits and starts

I was hoping to report that the walls were up and the ceiling was going in this weekend, but alas- not so fast...

The interior is in, and the left wall has been dry fitted, adjusted and should be ready for a Monday afternoon installation, but we just ran out of time and resources yesterday. As one of the professional trailer builders mentioned in their blog, just because everything is CNC'd doesn't necessarily mean it will all fit together.  Play the game of millimeters, and eventually they'll come back to bite you. And it was just that - millimeters.  

  • Finding a inset cut is .71", and maybe should have been .72" for a true fit.  
  • Learning the difference between 15 and 16 degrees on a glue-up (should've made a better jig)...
  • Measuring 14 times and still being off by a .0625"

These are the kind of things that tend to accumulate and drive you starkers when trying to get a 110lb wall panel perfectly positioned to bolt down.  At least I didn't get cocky and lay down PL yet!



Now that the center partition and shelves are up, I can also start doing layout for the galley and utilities.  One of the first things I discovered this weekend was that my assumption that the Propex heater would be on the right and my power bay on the left was wrong - unless I wanted the heat coming out only against the right wall...
Actually, it works out a little smarter than I hoped - I want an external 11lb propane tank on the outside left wall, and that means I now have short runs to both the heater and stove, instead of going cross-trailer to make it work.  (vertical partitions are just in there for reference.  Now that I can actually measure them, I'll cut and install.  


The "electrical bay" is now on the right, between the central bulkhead and the refrigerator, which will sit in the tray in the foreground, running on heavy duty slides.  The blue in back is one of 16 50AH LiFePo4 cells, giving me a total of 100AH, 24V battery.  I'll work on that as I have downtime now that most of the major bits are here.



All the major bits of the electrical (plus solar cells).  I'll do a full post on the electrical, probably after it's installed.
The basic specs:
100AH 24v LiFePo4 battery pack with BMS
100W flexible solar panels (x2)
20AH MFFT charger
24v 5A AC charger
2500AH Pure sine inverter
20A 24-12v DC converter
AC Transfer switch for shore power

The charge rates for both solar and AC are probably lower than optimum, but they should recharge the batteries from a completely depleted state to full in <24 hours without stressing batteries, charge circuits or wiring.  The typical draw excluding the AC is <250 watts/hour, so it should have plenty of headroom to run the AC for an hour or so if needed.  Mostly the AC is for campgrounds, and we'll use the MaxxFan, but I promised to include it!

Hopefully Monday night I'll be showing off the left wall glued in place, bringing the ceiling panel and stringers home from the shop, and getting it all in place!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...