Thursday, April 21, 2022

What's that over head? Roof, Roof? No...

 It's the ceiling you stupid dog...

Alright, I know - it's one of the worst dad jokes, but that's where we are today.  The ceiling is in, and I'm working on things like wiring, blocking, and poking holes in the side of the trailer (truly an essay in courage, or my lack thereof).

First-up, I added all the blocking on the sides. I made use of the leftover bits of 3/4" ACX to CNC arcs of plywood that matched the arc of the wall.  Hey, once in a while even the blind squirrel gets the nut!  

A couple of pocket holes, a couple of screws, and a little sculpting with the jigsaw, and they were in.  I had intentionally left them a little proud, and once installed, I cleaned them down to the wall line with a pattern bit.

Next up, wiring for all the lights, MaxxFan, and I'm still not sure what else.  Some sort of little command center up front, but I still don't know quite what - so I'll run a bit of flex conduit and a messenger line in it - just in case I figure it out.  With the exception of the 3-way switches for the cabin lights, I'm home running most all of the lights, and using Wago connectors anywhere I have to join two wires.  No wire nuts or crimps to fail.

I'm not particularly proud of these, nor the reason they exist...  In my jumbled planning, I neglected to consider letting in wireways during the build.  As a result, I had to find a way to get wire down to the light switches in the cabin, and surface molding was not a consideration!
So I chose to make a template and hog out a wireway and switch box.  I CNC'd the templates out of MDF (a really bad idea, BTW).  It's really easy to cut MDF, and if you touch it with a router it will make a 1/4" dip.  Since hogging the wireways took a couple of passes, I had a couple of extra opportunities to inflict non-straight lines as I went along.   I also made a second template to cut in a cover plate on the outside so no weak spot in the aluminum right next to the door.

My porch lights are corner mounted, with  a pigtail.  I used a 1 1/2" Forstner bit to cut a pocket in the wall (a little less than 3/4" deep, and then came down from the top with my trusty Kreg pocket bit (it's just about 5 1/4") to provide a dropper.
Same bit chucked up from the inside of the roof, I cut another hole into that top down hole to get the wire to feed thru.

Obviously a little out of sequence, but it looks pretty good up there.


Finally, to fill in the wireways that I hogged out, I 3D printed a set of covers that snuggle in pretty well around the bundle of wires going down the wall.  Printed in 6" sections, and trimmed as necessary.
Yet another excuse to pull out the printer and tell my wife how much I 'saved' by printing my parts!





Wireway covers deployed (well - sort of).  I'll need to move them, trim to fit, and add a little dab of glue, but you get the idea.

Next up - more wiring, wiring the electrical panel, insulating the ceiling and installing the *roof*, and then starting on the dreaded galley hatch and lower front.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...