Wednesday, January 12, 2022

And we have light!

This week is trying my patience a bit.  The Amazon partner who made the wheel spacers chose to ship via USPS.  Free shipping is free shipping, but I really hate USPS delivery promptness or rather the lack thereof.  According to tracking, the adapters are still in Anaheim.  Bah.  That said, it's not like I'm going to hook it up and trail it anytime soon, but it would be nice to roll it further out into the shop to work on, and then push it back in the corner when done.  Hot tip - don't try to build a trailer in a suburban garage in Minnesota in January.  Or maybe that's a cold tip...

But on with what *is* getting done.  The lights are done and tested.  I still have to make tube covers for the 2x2 ends, dress the wire bundle to the junction box, _and_ figure out exactly where to mount/bury the j-box on the tongue.  That probably won't get finalized until near the end of the build.  In the meantime, I'll clamp it to a tube somewhere so I can run the intermingled house/chassis wiring for the 3rd brake light and backup lights, the under chassis disco lights, and anything else I can think of.  Speaking of trailer brakes, I am not impressed with the copper clad aluminum wire that comes in trailer wiring 'specials'.  It's not really 14 AWG, it probably won't stand up to much flexing, and in short - if it weren't being buried in the frame, I would not be using it.  I will drag out 14AWG copper stranded for the brakes and any wiring going into the rear deck lid.  

All lit up and no place to go.
All the wire leads up to the right front corner of the frame, and will then route up to the junction box (which will most likely get mounted under the tongue box).  
Total draw with brakes and running lights is 730 mA @ 12.2v.  Helps to have a precision power supply when wiring to test connections before burying all the wiring!



And it looks like this weekend will be a major trip to the lumber yard, with shopping list in hand.  I count 24 sheets of plywood for this build, mostly 5x5 baltic birch.  My big dilemma is trying to decide to buy it all now, figure out where to store it over the next 4 weeks, or buy it in a couple of stages and play lumber price roulette.  Seems like the trend is for prices to increase, so it may be worth buying the whole pile now...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...