Wednesday, December 1, 2021

It always takes longer than you planned...

 Well, there's always something else that has to get done.  After losing a couple of days last week due to a COVID concern at the shop and the holidays, I'm finding that cleaning up welds takes more time to fix than the original welds did.  My end result is OK, but the process to get there is time consuming and more than a little warm!  (Tonight's lesson - don't sit where you just welded...)

Cutting the 'wings' for the tongue was interesting.  It's roughly a 24/66 degree cut - roughly.  However, most stationary tools can only support a 45 degree cut.  We opened the bandsaw throat a little wider, positioned the tube on the cut line, and clamped it down with C-clamps and cut that very acute angle.  It was 'close enough' that a little work with a flap wheel brought it into spec.  

I've still got to add the frame for the tongue box, the rear coupler, and run thru one more quality check to clean up any really ugly welds (the things you find in the bright light of day!).  
Next big task is to drill the Timbren mounts, add the bike mount post, and then it's off to the powder coater.

One thing I'm pleased about is the the frame came out pretty square (so far).  Tip of the tongue to back corners is within 1/16 of an inch, and it seems to be within 1/8¨ for flatness.  I think I got a little lucky on that - I realized that even with alignment corners, I should have clamped each bar for both horizontal and vertical axes.  I only clamped the long rails horizontally and the cross bars on the vertical.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...