Monday, December 20, 2021

Powder Coat complete

 Have to do a bit of garage rearranging, and get a kerosene heater to heat the garage, but we're making progress here!  The frame came back from the powder coat shop today.  Now it'll sit out in the weather for the next 72 hours while I wrap up re-organizing the garage, and pick up a kerosene heater to heat my barely above freezing in the winter space.  In the meantime, I continue to work on details on the CAD side of things - refining details, and [over]thinking details like panel joinery.  

I was finally able to find a local supplier for aluminum skis for the outside - I know I'm a few weeks out on that little effort, but I did not want to be sitting around waiting for them to arrive - so I pulled the trigger and ordered them.  I'll also order a sheet of diamondplate for the lower extremities, but that can wait - plenty of places to get it.

The frame came out great.  The welds look solid - not professional, but solid, and it's square within 1/16 inch on both the frame, and the axles.  I can live with that I think.

The tongue box frame was something I decided to go a little big on, knowing that it will never hold much weight.  It will contain a porta-potty in one end, the portable propane shower, and jack-stands.  I may yet change my mind on those, but at present I plan to use the wind-up style stands on the back corners.

Now it's time to flip it upside down, assemble the suspension, lube up the bearings and bolt on the wheels.  And then build the base...

And a quick shout out to Marco Sandblasting and Twin City Metalseal. They both did great work, easy to work with, and quick turn-around.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...