Sunday, February 13, 2022

Outer wall laminations

 The outer wall sections are now laminated to the core!  This was kind of a milestone for me - getting the core bonded, and the outers on - Now I can actually visualize the dimensions of the full trailer.  There were a few little gotchas - like the edge at the back of the main outside panel where I was obviously a 1/4"inch closer to y=0 than I thought, and cut the panel just a tad short.  No big deal, but I will need to fill that void where the two outer panels should join up  

I used Titebond III to give myself a bit more work time.  And I learned it takes 16 oz to cover the entire side.  I happened to be in Rockler the other day, and they had this cool 5¨ glue roller that just seemed too good to pass up.  A touch spendy, but boy howdy, it's a lot better than trying to use a 3¨ roller!  The first panel I did I tried making a zigzag pattern with the glue and rolling it out.  Too much work.  Pour on a good puddle and use the roller to spread it out.  Much easier, faster and complete.  Then used a crown stapler to really secure the panels.


I splined the core panels together - 1/4¨ Freud slot cutter on a Bosch 12 Amp router made fast work of it, and a large pile of sawdust to boot.  
I used the ´caul & clamp´ method to pull the panels together, supplemented by bars across the back to keep the panel straight.  And the whole thing was clamped to the bench - again to keep it straight. 

Thankfully the shop has plenty of clamps - long clamps, pipe clamps, pretty much everything but speed clamps.  In a number of spots, I used a clamp across the piece to serve as a holding spot for a longitudinal clamp.  

The next couple of days will be mostly spent doing piddly stuff - making sure my inside wall CNC code is spot on, doing a little finish sanding on the outside in prep for a coat of penetrating epoxy, cutting insulation to fit, and cutting the inside walls.  

Hopefully by next weekend I'm ready to laminate those!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...