Monday, January 17, 2022

Ground Up, Part II

 Another scramble today.  I got to Menards (local big box hardware) about 7:00 to pick up glue and insulation. Definitely buy glue in bulk - Titebond II.  I think a gallon will be a good start.  Since I wound up with a 3/4¨ cavity, and nobody locally stocks 3/4¨ anything, I wound up using 1/4¨ accordion foam.  Kind of a pain in the backside cutting 3 sheets for every cavity, but it worked. Once that was down, it was a matter of pouring on the glue, using a 2¨ chip brush to spread it, and then getting the 5x5x3/8¨ top cover popped on.   To make sure the panels align, I dry fit the panels, clamped down one half, and then pulled the other half on top of the clamped panel.  Then I poured a goodly amount of glue, using a 2¨ chip brush to spread it, and then quickly slid the 5x5x3/8¨ top cover in place.  Starting from the inside edge of the panel, I stapled more or less counterclockwise until I had the enitre panel down.   Once that was done, it's just a matter of 'rinse and repeat' to get the other side in place.  

Now it's standing on end, waiting for me to get out the router and trim up the edges.  One take-away from building the Skoota launch was not to get too hung up on perfect edges.  It's much easier to run the panel router around the perimeter and clean it up.

Tasks remaining on the floor.  

  • Router the edges
  • Seal the bottom with epoxy
  • Fill in all the staples on the top and sand the whole top. 
  • Mount to trailer (temporary)
As an added 'bonus' this morning, I got a call from the siding company delivery guy to let me know he'd dropped my aluminum skins!  Of course he set them against the garage door, so I couldn't get in to get a panel jack until I moved 3 very ungainly (and quite noisy) panels of aluminum.  BTW, a 5x10x .063 sheet of aluminum is pretty awkward to move!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight is [almost] always 20/20...

 As I've said before, this trailer has been a very agile project.  There have been more than a few compromises, changes, and adjustments...